Changing over from DLA to PIP (Personal Independence Payment)

Here is some useful information provided by Disability Wales regarding changes to Disability Living Allowance


What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP). PIP will help disabled people to cover the costs of living to enable them to live full, active, and independent lives. Getting PIP does not depend on other income or savings.


Will I be affected by the change?

Yes, if you receive DLA and are aged between 16 and 64. You will be invited to apply for PIP. DWP will write to you and tell you how to apply. You will not be affected if you get Attendance Allowance.


When will this change happen?

• From June 2013, new claims will be for PIP not DLA.

• From October 2013, if you get DLA and report a change in condition, you will be reassessed for PIP.

• If your DLA award is due to end or be reviewed on or after 7 October 2013, you wil be contacted in writing by the Department for Work and Pensions asking if you wish to apply for PIP 

• From October 2015, if your DLA has not been renewed or if you haven’t reported a change in circumstances, you will be invited to apply for PIP

• By October 2017, everyone will have been reassessed for PIP.


Will I get PIP?

• You must have an impairment or a long term health condition that has lasted at least 3 months and is expected to continue for another 9 months.

• Be aged between 16-64 

• You can be in or out of work 

• You may qualify for PIP even if you have not qualified for DLA in the past.


How do I move onto PIP?

The change to PIP will not happen automatically. People already receiving DLA will be contacted about the change to DLA by the Department for Work and Pensions and invited to make a claim. If you do not claim PIP your DLA will stop. If you claim, you will then be assessed against the new entitlement criteria. You will be contacted sooner if your DLA claim is due to be renewed or if you report a change of circumstances.


What will PIP be like?

PIP will consist of two components:

1. Daily Living component - how much support you need with day-to-day activities.

2. Mobility component - how much support you need to get around. You may be awarded one or both of these components.

Each component has a standard rate and an enhanced rate.

Standard rate - when the individual’s ability to carry out daily living or mobility activities is considered to be limited.

Enhanced rate - when the individual’s ability to carry out daily living or mobility activities is considered to be severely limited.


Do I have to be assessed?

Yes. When you claim PIP you may be required to have a face-to-face consultation. During this process you will be assessed on your ability to undertake twelve activities. You will score points on each activity. The activities include preparing food and drink, dressing and undressing, communicating, and moving around. You will have to be assessed for PIP even if you previously received a lifetime award for DLA. There is no automatic transfer from DLA to PIP. You must apply. In Wales a company called Capita will carry out the PIP assessments on behalf of the DWP. It is very important to attend a medical assessment. If you do not attend and do not have a good reason for not attending then your claim could be rejected.


What about Other Benefits?

Whether you get PIP could affect other benefits and support you and your family receive.

Carers Allowance: If you get the daily living component of PIP, at either the standard or enhanced rate, a carer can claim Carers Allowance.

Motability: If you get the mobility component of PIP at the enhanced rate, you can access the

Motability scheme.The standard rate of mobility component does not give you access to Motability.

Benefit Cap: You will be exempt from the benefit cap, regardless of the amount of benefits you receive, if you, your partner or a dependent child claims PIP.


If my PIP claim is successful, how long will my award be for?

You will generally be awarded PIP for a fixed term. There is no set period - it could be as short as 1 year or as long as 10 years.


What if I don’t get awarded PIP or my award of PIP is less than my current DLA?

If you do not get awarded PIP or the amount of award is less than your current DLA award, you should ask for a reconsideration of the decision. If you still dispute the decision after the Department for Work and Pensions have reconsidered the decision, you appeal to Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service.


So what do I have to do if I am claiming DLA?

You do not need to contact the Department of Work and Pensions yourself to arrange the change. After October 2013 they will contact you and tell you what to do next. 

If you want to get PIP, you will have to complete the application and undergo a face-to-face assessment. If you meet the conditions for PIP you will be transferred from DLA. If you are not entitled to PIP you will not be able to keep your DLA as an alternative. If you do not apply for PIP your DLA payments will stop